View Full Description
The guitarist's guitarist
Eric Johnson has cemented his legacy as one of the most impressive and accomplished guitarists of his generation. Known for his masterpiece hits such as "Cliffs of Dover" and "Manhattan", Johnson has proven time and time again that he is a man of perfection. And it shows throughout his virtuosic playing ability.
It's this exceptional talent that has rewarded him with a Grammy for 'Best Rock Instrumental', along with six other nominations. So it goes without saying that he has become a legend among guitar players worldwide, resulting in fans crying out for another signature Strat. Hence, Fender have unveiled a dedicated recreation of his iconic '54 "Virginia" model.
Riffs of Dover
Johnson's tone stands out to many as one of the hardest to achieve. Its mystifying melodic character is coveted by guitar players everywhere, and yet few seem to succeed in recreating his sweet, luscious sound. Luckily, Fender have worked collaboratively with the man himself to uncover the secrets behind his iconic tone, so you don’t have to. A DiMarzio HS-2 stacked humbucker has been fitted in the bridge position, with only the top coil active. This utilises the HS-2's distinctive voice whilst functioning as a single-coil pickup, giving you Johnson's sought-after lead tone without the need for modification.
In the middle and neck position, it's all about vintage tone. Which is why the signature '54 Strat features a pair of original '57/'62 single-coil pickups, giving you all the traditional snap and bite you'd expect from an early Strat model. This way, players can colour their sound with that classic Fender flair and perform Johnson's legendary solos with the same fluidity and richness that brought him to fame. And you'll hear it shine through every note you play.
Vintage Fender feel
It's not enough to just sound '50s. It has to feel '50s, too. Luckily, Fender have ensured that every aspect of the Johnson's '54 model has the unique, vintage feel that guitarists crave in a Strat. A rare, lightweight sassafras body lets players roam free on stage, along with a dual-cutaway design for effortless access to the upper frets. Fender know better than anyone that a guitar should enhance creativity. And this signature design is certainly no exception.
It's not just the body, though. A Soft "V" shaped neck fits perfectly in the palm of your hand, whilst providing authentic feel through its entirety. And its maple surface lets your hands soar across every inch of the guitar's fingerboard and perform every riff, chord, and solo with ultimate precision. It's almost addictive to play.
Fuel your performance with expression
It doesn't get more creative than using a whammy bar in performance. Eric Johnson made it his own. Hendrix used one in his Woodstock performance. And now, you can inject your performance with your own creative flair. Whether you're unleashing screeching dive bombs, giving your solo that extra kick, or simply decorating your chords with some elegant shimmer – the famed Strat tremolo system gives players an even bigger platform to experiment their sound with. A Strat wouldn't be a Strat without it. So it goes without saying that Johnson's signature features the iconic tremolo bridge design, for even more sonic possibilities.
Maximum instrument security
An instrument of such individuality needs protecting. Which is why the Eric Johnson 1954 Stratocaster comes with a deluxe tweed hardshell case. Take your cherished instrument on the road, with the peace of mind that it’ll be in pristine condition every time you play. Preventing scratching, scraping, or any other damage to your guitar - the tweed hardshell case makes transporting between venues simple and stress-free. No worries. No panic. Just the excitement of performance, the way it should be.
- Model Name: Fender Eric Johnson 1954 Virginia Stratocaster MN, 2-Tone Sunburst
- Model Code: 0117442803
- Series: Artist
- Body Material: 2-Piece Offset Seam Sassafras
- Body Shape: Stratocaster
- Body Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Body Colour: 2-Color Sunburst
- Neck Material: 1-Piece Quartersawn Maple
- Neck Shape: Soft "V"
- Neck Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
- Fingerboard Radius: 12" (305 mm)
- Fingerboard: Maple
- Number of Frets: 21
- Fret Size: Medium Jumbo
- Nut: Plastic
- Nut Width: 1.635" (41.3mm)
- Position Inlays: Black Dot
Hardware & Electronics
- Bridge Pickup: DiMarzio® HS-2™ (Only Top-Coil Active)
- Middle Pickup: Original '57/'62 Single-Coil Strat®
- Neck Pickup: Original '57/'62 Single-Coil Strat®
- Controls: Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 2. (Middle Pickup)
- Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup Position 3. Middle Pickup Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup Position 5. Neck Pickup
- Bridge: 6-Saddle American Vintage Synchronized Tremolo
- Tuning Machines: Vintage-Style
- Control knobs: Aged White Plastic
- Strings: Fender® USA 250L Nickel Plated Steel (.009-.042 Gauges)
- Pickguard: 1-Ply Eggshell
- Case: Deluxe Tweed Hardshell